Monday, February 22, 2010

The Steams of Yellowstone

I can still feel the cold as i type this post.. it was my first morning at Yellowstone and the
temperatures were well below freezing. By habit I try to reach my shooting spots a little early. So i was at midway geysers way before sunrise in the intense cold. If i were to guess now i would it was close to 10 Fahrenheit or so that morning.

I can also remember the very pungent smell of the sulfur springs as well. One would think that being so close to hot geysers would help alleviate the cold but it was as good as a torch for a blind man. So i was left off to stomp my feet and rub the hands, i did not want to run back to the warmth of the car either because i would have to set up all the equipment again.

But when the sun did come out it was worth all the effort, it back lit the rising steam magically as a giant spot light in the sky. I took a few shots of just the pier and the steams at first.. but i felt the photos did not convey the awe i felt looking at this spectacle. So very unlike me i decided to include the photographer in the photo. I felt this works better to convey what i felt. I would be interested to hear your opinions if you would like to share them.



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful landscape...dramatic sky and a well placed lovely silhouette of a human element!

    I am Abhijit...ex-biker (Bullet 350) frm Mumbai.

    I have a blog http://www.abhijitsplanet.com/pratibimb/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting up Abhijit, will check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bhai, ye cheating hai... such amazing photography... such surrealism.... too good....

    ReplyDelete

Followers