Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Wild West

We got a chance to visit Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in late fall of 2008. I was very excited for the trip as i really wanted to visit these places i had so often read/seen photographs of.
Midway between changing flights we realized that i had left my whole packed camera bag at home. After much brain storming of our options Shweta and I decided to buy a dslr from the local Costco there. I was left without my GND's, 5D as well as my favorite lenses to shoot, but the Canon XST that i got proved to be a great little camera.

I was surprised at the exposure range of the XSi compared to my older 5D. But the XSi did have its negatives in the amount of noise it produced in the darker areas. I would love to upgrade to the newer 5D Mark II just for the exposure range improvements, but i digress.. Yellowstone proved to be rich in wildlife, but the Tetons really captured my heart with its breathtaking landscape beauty.

I normally do my homework before visiting any spots i plan to shoot and i had tried to gather as much information about shooting spots, whether they work as sunrise or sunset spots etc. Among the famous things about Tetons are the Moulton Barns. These barns are dated from the early 1900's and were of the early Mormon settlers in the area.

I had been shooting pre dawn at Schwabacher's landing and drove over to these barns quickly to catch the sunrise. Since the sun was almost directly behind me i had to work a little in finding the composition so as my/camera's shadow did not intrude the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers